MAGNOLIA VILLAGE COUNCIL
REGULAR COUNCIL MEETING MARCH 7TH, 2018
The Regular Meeting of Magnolia Village Council was called to order on March 7th, 2018 at 7:00 P.M. at the Magnolia Village Hall by Mayor Robert Leach. Members present were Jim Hunter, Jim Miller, Grant Downes, Claudia Rogers, Jessica Miller. Eric White was absent. Also present were Police Chief Jeff Hager and Solicitor Kevin L’Hommedieu.
Visitors – Potential Buyer of Grange Hall Property
- Jeremiah Geisinger, President of McAlpine Meadery – Specialty winery in Navarre. They make wine there and have a tasting room. He is interested in purchasing the Grange Hall and would keep the building the same. Grange Hall is zoned as a Single Family, it would take a change to the zoning for this to happen. Council can not make a decision. It was never zoned commercial-St. Cty. Auditor has it listed commercial, but it is not. They would have to go to the Building Inspector and he would deny it, this would start the process to get a variance. The neighbors would have some say in it. He would be moving the Navarre location to the Magnolia building. Would expand his hours at this location. He would not need a liquor license. He would like to make a patio area where people could smoke. Bob is concerned about the nice homes in that area and would they be concerned about the cars and traffic.
- Jay Herstine – Fire Department – The Fire Department would like to have a meeting with members of council, Finnicum Insurance, VFIS and Joel Bender of Whitaker Myers. The Village is insuring the building because it is ours. Village is requiring the Fire Dept. to have secondary insurance. Meeting will be held on March 22nd, 2018 at 7:00 P.M. at the Village Hall.
- Rogers moved and Jessica seconded to approve the minutes of the February 14th, 2018 Regular Meeting. All ayes.
- Hunter moved and Downes seconded to approve the Clerk-Treasurer’s Report as presented by the clerk. All ayes.
- Fire Dept. Insurance Coverage – Do not need insurance in the lease-Village will be insuring the building and Fire Dept. will have secondary ins. and insurance on the contents. L’Hommedieu will change #6 of the lease.
- Blue Star Memorial – Mike Lancaster contacted Rogers regarding the Blue Star Memorial. Discussed the location that Mike Lancaster would like it to be located. Discussed where the Fire Dept. thinks it should be located, Herstine suggested the Fire Dept. have some say and contact Don Nicholson, Jr. to see where he thinks it should be put. Lancaster said he will purchase the flag pole and pay for the landscaping. Clerk was informed that Presbyterian Church was donating $1500.00 for the purchase of the flag pole. Sally Patterson is the chair for the Blue Star Memorial, Lancaster will be in touch with her. Patterson needs a dedication date.
- Heroin Awareness Sign – The sign should be put at the Park. We are having a problem with the logo. Downes will contact Larry Vogt by email.
- Interview candidates for Village Worker – Mathew Hawk, Christopher Baker, Tim Green and Barton Lewis. Have Hager run a check on them. Interviews will be March 15th, 2018 at 6:30 P.M. and 7:00 P.M
- Lease document for Fire House – see above
- Insurance for Fire House – see above
- Chairman Miller reported that he will check on the Fire Dept. loan, haven’t heard anything from the Bank of Magnolia. Traffic light has been repaired. Received our Franchise Fee from Charter Communications in the amount of $7,568.68 on 3/5/18.
- Streets & Alleys
- Chairman Downes received lists of recommendations of work that needs to be done from Allen Dale Fornash. Christmas decorations need to be taken down; Allen has contacted Beck Electric. Possibly purchase snow flakes that are presently on sale. Lists of recommendations were put on hold right now. Some of the old electric poles have been removed.
- Christmas Decorations – Snow Flakes – Rogers reported that Display Sales has the decorations on sale, we need 7 of them total cost with shipping and handling is $1,731.00 which includes decoration hardware. Rogers moved and Hunter seconded to purchase the new Christmas Decorations at the cost of $1,731.00 to be expended from the Beauty Fund. All ayes.
- Parks & Public Buildings
- No report.
- Chairman Hunter reported that East Sparta had 245 hrs. = $6,425.00. There were 7 agency assists.
- Chairman Rogers reported that the $2,200.00 was received for the month of February for lots and services for the Cemetery. Pit meter was damaged by a large truck and has been repaired.
- Cemetery Clerk – Miller moved and Hunter seconded to appoint Sarah Downes as Cemetery Clerk. All ayes-Downes abstained.
- Chairman Miller -no report.
- Jessica Miller moved and Downes seconded to excuse Eric White from tonight’s meeting; he is at a conference for work. All ayes.
- No Report.
Consideration of Ordinances
Action on Bills
- Rogers moved and Downes seconded to pay the bills as presented by the clerk. All ayes.
- Bob reported that council received a lovely “Thank You” from Steve Loomis for the gift certificate and the plaque.
- Bob reported that he went to the Stark County Health District Mtg. and Downes went to the Carroll County. Health District Mtg.-Health Dept. hasn’t raised their rate for many years, it is going to be increased by 2% over a 5-year period. Carroll County is in bad shape.
- Clerk – Clerk Lorrie Clevenger discussed per position with council and asked if they would consider separating the Village Clerk and Water Clerk positions.
ROBERT LEACH, MAYOR Lorrie Clevenger, Clerk